[IMC-US-tech] RE: [IMC-US] Re: Acorn Active Media Worker Collective Offer: (Sascha Meinrath)

faith swords faith at ucimc.org
Mon Jan 5 14:33:00 CST 2004

i am just tuning into this debate and would like to point out a few things
(as someone who has been around for the IMC-US start-up as well as the
Acorn start-up).

as a fledgling company, Acorn is pursuing projects that mirror the ideals
and visions of the people involved. everyone in the
collective is active in the UCIMC, in many different arenas and
capacities. getting involved with the US-IMC is, i'm sure, something that
they would be willing to do anyway, because this is exactly the kind of
project that they're looking for. that said, as a brand new company, being
able to present the US-IMC site as work they have done to other potential
clients would help Acorn get off the ground.

given that we are all working together, i see no problem with letting the
Acorn collective do the website work and putting a little box in the
bottom corner saying who did the design. it's the equivalent of saying
"this site is maintained by the webmaster at usimc.org" or whatever. in the
spirit of generosity, it seems to me that this discussion, which is great
because it's discussion which leads to activity which there hasn't been
enough of lately, is not what we need to be talking about.

sascha was not implying that "indymedia folks alone don't have the
resources to get an IMC-US site up." i think that involving Acorn in this
way is a great way of getting new blood into this project. these are
people who are willing to dedicate a large part of their time exclusively
to getting the site up and running. it seems to me that one of the reasons
we don't already have an IMC-US site is that there hasn't been anyone
willing to do that, for one reason or another.

they're not asking to be paid, and would probably work on this
individually whether or not they get any kind of acknowledgement for doing
it, but i think it would be quite generous of the IMC-US group to
collaborate with Acorn on this.

as for the whole point being made about how indymedia should be able to do
this without help, i would like to reiterate the fact that every member of
the Acorn collective is a "member" of indymedia.

i share sascha and max's frustration with this new concern; i also would
like to know if the people concerned are blocking this proposal or not,
and if they are, i would like them to come up with a viable alternative,
but it seems to me that further discussion of this is yet another stall in
this project, and in my opinion, there have been enough of those.

--faith swords
UCIMC