[IMC-US-tech] Acorn concerns

Brian Szymanski bks10 at cornell.edu
Sun Jan 18 22:43:32 CST 2004

faith sez:
> as a fledgling company, Acorn is pursuing projects that mirror the
> ideals and visions of the people involved. everyone in the
> collective is active in the UCIMC, in many different arenas and
> capacities.

I must echo tribal scandal's sentiment: if all these people are involved
in UCIMC, why do they want to promote their cooperative instead of helping
indymedia for no reward like the rest of us do? Josh and max have both
echoed this sentiment as well, yet I have still seen no response from
the Acorn people about this...

Ryan Smith sez:
> I do, however, have one big caveat, which I believe is much more
> important than the size of the acknowledgment on the website. I would
> like a guarantee that the software developed for the US IMC site is
> released under a public license such as the GPL. That way the software
> can be used and developed in a completely open manner consistent with
> Indymedia goals and policies.

Ryan's caveat is important, and again, I still haven't seen a response
from Acorn about this. I'm afraid I fail to see the benefit to us of
agreeing to this link for the rest of time if the software isn't available
to us to hack on, use, modify, develop, redistribute, etc.

Can someone clarify these two important issues so we can get the ball
rolling again?

Peace,
Brian Szymanski
bks10 at cornell.edu