[IMC-US-Tech] Launch Logistics Meeting: Wednesday 9pm EST

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Tue Oct 26 08:51:44 CDT 2004

like d.o. mentioned -- 9pm EST on channel #us on irc.indymedia.org we'll
be tying up all the loose ends for a Thursday (hard) launch of
indymedia.us.  everyone who can make it should come.

> B) Democracy Now might do a headline on it the day imc-us "officially"
> launches. Wednesday is it?

this would be _great_ -- we'll lauch on Thursday, so a Thursday DN
headline would be awesome.

> C) maybe I missed conversations about this, but if a reporter wants to
> do a story on this and actually use a quote from someone, is that taboo
> or not? If not, are we telling them to email the list and then we will
> discuss what we want to say and email them back or can we designate
> someone to respond right away and leave it at that? I personally don¹t
> want a collective deluge of emails from this list in my inbox about what
> to say to each reporter who asks a question. Nothing personal, but ill
> just get lost again. If that is the current plan, can there at least be
> a working group with a different email address that can discuss that
> stuff? There might not be a ton of questions but we should prepare
> nonetheless.

i agree -- we definitely need press contacts, several folks (myself
included) have agreed to help with press -- let's get this finalized on
Wednesday.  we need to have folks who can respond quickly to reporters to
get the story out.

> D) Also, can we ask listwork to set up an alias imc-us at indymedia.org
> instead of using imc-us at ucimc.org or IMC-US at lists.cu.groogroo.com I can
> put in that request right away if no one objects.

this is a great idea -- ana, could you do this?

> E) I know mir probably does not suffer from the kinds of security holes
> we are seeing in dada right now, but are we prepared for intense hacking
> attempts the second we fully publicize the site? Does anyone know anyone
> who has tried to find exploits in mir?

i'll let the imc-security team know that we're going live on thursday and
that we could use any help they can spare.  we should also spread the word
that folks should hang out on #us so that we can coordinate -- this will
be especially important during our first week.  we also still need mirrors
of our site since we have limited bandwidth at our current server
location.

> F) don¹t underestimate first impressions....is there anyway to
> standardize the window size the site opens in or is that something we
> don¹t want to do? The banner (and hence the site) looks off if the
> window doesn¹t happen to open at its exact width.

i hadn't noticed this; but yes, it would be good if we could transition
from the edge of the rotating banner to black instead of just having an
abrupt line.

> G) lastly, a "home" button might help with navigation from certain
> pages... like support.

anyone have a minute to make this change?

in solidarity,

--sascha

--
Sascha Meinrath
Project Manager & Pres.   *   Project Coordinator   *   Policy Analyst