[Imc-web-editor] Re: [UCIMC-Tech] Houston, We Have a Problem

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 25 14:22:04 CST 2009

Josh,
Sorry I was so brief in the message this morning, but I was heading out
the door for campus when I found it. Here are some more details.

The new problem this morning was at this link:
http://www.ucimc.org/admin/content/comment

I was getting an error message this morning for the issue with 1. When I
went to the recent articles that I knew the comments were posted to,
there were no comments! They'd gone missing.  Now it's OK, so something
you've done since has fixed it? I would suspect a database issue, but???

The recently hidden articles reappearing/old articles being hidden
problem was in 2. This seems related to my message over the weekend,
although it wasn't as bad as it was this morning. The relevant link is here:
http://www.ucimc.org/admin/content/node

As you can see with some poking around, there is a mix of mostly old
articles mixed in with the occasional new post, which seem to get there
simply because that's where it's interleaved  when gets posted among the
mess of old stuff.

When you went to one of the old stories that should be published, you'd
see that they were hidden and they had a current date stamp, along with
the original date of posting. More irritating were the articles that
originally were hidden, but now were visible in the editors screen.
Fortunately, these did not pop up on the mainpage. I don't have the time
to dig back  to see if they were visible in the archived posts that have
slipped off the front page.

The fact that there were things being changed makes me think that  some
sort of process was underway that could be causing the issues that were
visible. This had been going on for a week or so when I sent my message
about it over the weekend. Now things seem to be back in order since
this morning. You may want to document whatever you did that seems to
have fixed things, as it may come in useful in the future.

For editors using a specific screen among those I just noted, it could
be disconcerting. The only way I could be sure about what was visible
was to log out and look at the mainpage to confirm that things I thought
I was seeing was not on the mainpage. However, when I got the error
message on the comments page, I couldn't see the recent comments. I
wasn't logged out, so maybe if I'd done that I would have seen the
comments correctly, don't know.

In the correlation is not causation category, we had a Dan Spam/SFnessie
imposter posted this morning at this link:
http://www.ucimc.org/content/just-update-my-readers

You may want to check that post for the logs to rule out any hanky-panky
related to our problem this morning. Whoever is posting those has been a
PITA since the first year we had the website up. He has made repeated
attempts to attack the website, although he hasn't been much of an issue
lately. Maybe he has some new toys he was trying out?
Mike Lehman