[Imc-web-editor] Re: [UCIMC-Tech] Re: [Imc-web] Re: [Imc-production] Steering Agenda Item: the IMC website

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Thu Jan 29 22:04:45 CST 2009

Thank you Chris, Stephen, and Josh for your thoughtful comments.  Reading
this thread makes me happy to be involved in the IMC - not because we are
without problems - but because of the articulateness and care of the people
involved.

I would like to advocate for a few things with the website:

*Short term:*
1) The "Local Interest," "Global Newswire," and "Upcoming Events," at the
top doesn't work.  It really obscures our locally produced and featured
stories.  And a lot of it is bizarre conspiracy theory, and sometimes
outright antisemitism.  I think a right hand bar with events on top, local
wire, and then global wire would work, just like it shows on secondary
pages.

2) Past events should not display, only future ones.

3) We need to recruit more web editors.  Great local stuff gets written, but
us few editors don't see it.

*Long term:*
1) Our front page needs to show us as an organization, not only a newswire.
We should keep the newswire, with the changes above, as it, but put another
front page on it, and bring headlines onto the front, alongside specific
requests for help, targeted campaigns, and more information  about our many
programs.

2) Way too many comments get hidden.  A number of legitimate posters have
given up even trying to be part of the debate.  We have stifled debate, in
my opinion.  There, I said it.   Look at hidden comments yourself and see if
it makes sense why they got hidden.  I no longer consider the IMC website a
free speech venue.

- Danielle