[Imc-web-editor] Re: [UCIMC-Tech] Re: [Imc-web] Re: [Imc-production] Steering Agenda Item: the IMC website

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 29 23:57:01 CST 2009

A few more thoughts...

Danielle Chynoweth wrote:
> Thank you Chris, Stephen, and Josh for your thoughtful comments.
> Reading this thread makes me happy to be involved in the IMC - not
> because we are without problems - but because of the articulateness
> and care of the people involved.
>
> I would like to advocate for a few things with the website:
>
> *Short term:*
> 1) The "Local Interest," "Global Newswire," and "Upcoming Events," at
> the top doesn't work.  It really obscures our locally produced and
> featured stories.  And a lot of it is bizarre conspiracy theory, and
> sometimes outright antisemitism. I think a right hand bar with events
> on top, local wire, and then global wire would work, just like it
> shows on secondary pages.
I think there's some confusion here. The "Global Newswire" at the top
middle is our own and AFAIK, doesn't have any anti-Semitism floating
through that lasts more the very temporarily. Lower down on the left
side is the www.indymedia.org Newswire, which unfortunately has less
rigid vetting for such things.

This is not to say that the top bar can't be improved. I thought the
suggestion to trim it down to the first four (or even three stories)
also visible on the right side menu was a good one, but whatever works
for everybody is OK by me.

> 2) Past events should not display, only future ones.

Truncating the Upcoming Events like the other two at the top may be an
easier hack than one that has to consider expired events. On the other
hand, I agree having this automatically resize as needed up to a set
limit of entires, say 6 or 7, would be cool if it's not a lot of trouble.
> 3) We need to recruit more web editors.  Great local stuff gets
> written, but us few editors don't see it.

Hmm, local written or relevant stuff almost always gets moved up to the
Local Newswire if it isn't placed there by the author. Maybe we need
more editors, but what we really need is more reporters from the many
organizations associated in some form or fashion with the IMC to
remember to write up events as and after they've concluded. A good
example is the Lippman concert. I posted the announcement for it because
no one else had. It would've been really great if someone had written up
who came, reviewed Dave's performance, and noted that it raised more
than $200 for the IMC, etc. Unfortunately, I have a dissertation to write...

I know that a "Dummies Guide to Posting on UC IMC" or something similar
is floating around and presume this will get in the mix as Jason K.
joins Nicole and Steve in getting some of our infrastructure in better
shape. Getting this in as many people's hands as possible will help
encourage more authors and reporters than anything else we can do.
> *Long term:*
> 1) Our front page needs to show us as an organization, not only a
> newswire.  We should keep the newswire, with the changes above, as it,
> but put another front page on it, and bring headlines onto the front,
> alongside specific requests for help, targeted campaigns, and more
> information  about our many programs.
I'm enthusiastic about this, provided it does not become static and
retains an obvious Newswire sector on the main page. I would hope that
people come here for news and info and think that remains important,
even as we need to do a better job at promoting the many programs at UC
IMC, as well as reporting the local news. See my comments about the
Lippman event for more, but the existing design, while not perfect, is
very underutilized in a way that won't be changed by shifting the
Newswire around in whatever form or fashion that ends up taking. And
this has no obvious connection to our existing web editing policy...

> 2) Way too many comments get hidden.  A number of legitimate posters
> have given up even trying to be part of the debate.  We have stifled
> debate, in my opinion.  There, I said it.   Look at hidden comments
> yourself and see if it makes sense why they got hidden.  I no longer
> consider the IMC website a free speech venue.
>
> - Danielle

Not sure exactly what's going on here, but suspect a discussion would
clarify things. I don't think there's been anything done to stifle
debate, although one former editor infamously thought we should operate
more like IP does. Given the coarse and reactionary nature of that sort
of discussion, I'm inclined to let IP rely on that for readers. My
reaction as to what we should do if that was important was that we
should set up a blog section to the website, especially so if there's
still some perceived shortage of a free speech venue on the web as a
whole. It's been formal policy since nearly the first days of UC IMC
that it is specifically NOT a "free speech venue" although the history
of this is very lengthy and more suited to a face-to-face conversation
than to email.

There technically is no "Hidden" comments section right now, at least it
comes up blank for me when I try to use the Hidden comments tab. I
presume this is something that will be addressed as the design is sorted
out from this initial build of updated Drupal. What serves this purpose
currently is the Approval Queue, which holds a number of what otherwise
be Hidden comments that may seem legit. However, most of the recent
comments found there are ones that were generated by the latest version
of the ad bot that's been a nuisance in recent weeks. These are properly
tagged as to what's going on. I'd be glad to explain what the tags on
them mean, if these aren't otherwise obvious.

There are also a few scattered comments from a very familiar anony
troll(s), for instance in the last week spinning talk that is clearly
racist in nature, which is crudely disguised as some expression of
concern about the Obama presidency. I'm not that hot on Obama myself,
but I think our policy on what to do with this is longstanding. Maybe we
want to ignore it in the future, but anyone can look it over right there
where it was originally posted by simply creating an account and using
it. It hasn't gone missing and is only a click away. If one wants to see
really aggressive and somewhat troublesome editing, I could suggest a
number of other IMCs who operate under policies that far and away exceed
anything done here. Not that we should not do better than that -- we do.

There's nothing really new about conduct of web editing policy for
dealing with this sort of stuff. I'm not sure how it can be determined
that a "number of legitimate posters have given up even trying to be
part of the debate." I do know that after the falling out between one
web editor and the rest of us two years ago, anonymous posting took a
dive, as well as posting from a number of registered users.The only real
difference between before and after was that news of the situation
created an perception of mistrust about the actual anonymity of the
site, which was clearly a violation of Indymedia principles that we
should be loathe to repeat.

If we need discussion to revise an existing consensus, I'm OK with that,
but just want to point out the existing consensus on this seems to have
worked for a variety of people involved in editing in the last 5 or 6
years, because it's been essentially unchanged over that period. The
website has had its ups and down in use and probably reflects more how
the website has been ignored institutionally, just like some other
aspects of our work have been that we've been working on lately.
Furthermore, it's a policy that withstood vetting by the IRS. True,
there is at least one disgruntled person out there, but I really don't
think that we're going to make whoever that is happy anyway.
Mike Lehman