[Imc-web] suitable feature?

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 2 11:57:10 CST 2003

Paul,
I had my doubts, too, when I first saw it as a Feature (please note that
someone else made it into one), but as the responses grew, I felt that
the decision was a good one. While the story didn't _directly_ report
anything, it was certainly accurate and anticipatory of what followed.

While I may have been a little expansive in my evaluation of what other
editors may or may not have thought about the story, I think it is
accurate to say that, in general, that is why stories become features.
However, I have edited the comment in question to reflect more
accurately the situation in light of your justifiable criticism that not
all the editors feel the same. Sorry for speaking for everyone without
first checking -- it was an emotional and trying day yesterday.

Given the open nature of our Newswires, a caution to readers to think
for themselves at times like these is not out of line, although much of
the criticism launched at the story was by those who, quite mistakenly,
asserted that it was telling people what to think, which, as you've
mentioned, it did not do (although it is quite common for stories to
imply that their point of view is accurate -- that's just part of
journalism and I think unavoidable -- we all are familiar with the whole
argument about journalistic objectivity.)

I don't believe the story patronized anyone, except those who are in
love with the idea that IMC gives them a platform to spin nonsense under
the pretense of news. Given that this problem is both extensive and
ongoing, and that any other solution would involve going in directions
to editing the Newswire that none of us want to go, such a small
cautionary notice is well-justified. Unless we intend to sit down and
individually refute every wack story that crosses the Newswire, a
thankless, not to mention infinite, task, this story was both timely and
necessary. And surrender and inaction in the face of the peddlers of BS
should not be an option if we expect IMC to retain the credibility that
it has.

As for it "going global" it was rather obviously pertinent, as can be
seen be the responses, although perhaps less so here.
Mike Lehman