[Imc-web] suitable feature?

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Sun Feb 2 01:19:28 CST 2003

I question whether the current topmost feature on the website
"Conspiracy Theory Watch: The Shuttle Disaster" really belongs as a feature.

I think I understand the intent, but this story is really nothing more
than a caution -- an encouragement to critical thinking. But otherwise
reports nothing.  I'm uncomfortable with the features being used to
caution people to believe or not believe anything, even if I agree with
the point of view.

For instance,I, as one of the editors, do not necessarily agree with
ML's comment to the article:
"As for why it's on the UC IMC mainpage as a Feature, it's because
editors here felt it was timely and important to remind readers that a
crop of wild-eyed and unsubstantiated nonsense stories would appear and
for our readers to be prepared to read them with a critical eye."

I'm not asking that it be removed, but I do wish to spark discussion
about what is appropriate for features or not, especially considering
that our features syndicate to the global IMC site.

--paul