[Imc-web] suitable feature?

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Mon Feb 3 09:33:35 CST 2003

Mainly the reason why I made it a feature is because it was all I had to
work with on the story.  I know that one of the first things I did when I
heard about the shuttle was go to the UCIMC website and see what was there
-- I'm sure others were checking in as well.

But there wasn't anything, so I put up a razorwire...  Joe's response was
the first one, so I replaced the razor-wire.  Had a substantive story
popped up I would have made Joe's story a comment and put that up.  Yet,
Joe's commentary _became_ the story.  I hear what Paul and Clint are
saying -- I also think that critiques of the media are also relevant
features.  In this case, Joe's was a very sparse beginning; but the
conversation that it's sparked has been quite exceptional.

I'd prefer to think of it as a feature that grew into itself -- and I also
think that it provides exactly the venue for debate that our website
strives for.  In these ways, I think it's been an incredibly "successful"
feature.  One that only now is being covered by other venues (see comment
33 on the feature).

--Sascha