[Imc-web] Re: An opportunity for the UCIMC web site?

jpitzl at wildhunt.org jpitzl at wildhunt.org
Fri Jan 3 12:24:32 CST 2003

First off, in answer to Clint, I would prefer functionality first, fancy
design work can come later, I would be willing to train with Clint to do a
project like this.

> My own thoughts are to make the posting of "articles" there by _free_
> subscription only, to make it easier to manage and discouraging the type
> of material that would be considered problematic, allowing comments to
> be done under the IMC model, if in fact it was desired to have a
> comments system like IMC's for an art "Newswire".

I think this would be a perfect model for an "arts" wire.

As far as just keeping it intergrated in the general newswire and not
creating a seperate site I would have to say that I think that arts news
would be buried under the non-arts posts.

> One way to have sepearate sites that linked together better would be to
> have a single story picked from either the top of the seperate
> "Newswires" or at random on them to display on the page of the companion
> site as a small, complimentary "Newswire", with a link back to the other
> site as a way to draw people back and forth. This is something we might
> want to consider whatever we do. I always have believed that we needed
> to do more crossover with the Public i's site, so this idea could be
> applied no matter what the final result is for the current proposal.

I think this is a good idea as well.

> On the Calendaring issue, let's promote what we have already available.
> It could grow on its own quite well at a time like now if we get the
> word out. The IMC is far from the only group that relied on the CityView
> for some no-cost publicity.

I worry that without some sort of seperate page that people in the arts
community won't see a reason to go to the UCIMC over some other
alternative. For the most part the main newswire is hard news and
commentary and doesn't lend itself to creating a new interlocking sense of
community.

Perhaps this could be a discussion issue at the Jan 8th Steering meeting?

-Jason