[Imc-web] Re: An opportunity for the UCIMC web site?

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 3 11:45:03 CST 2003

Good ideas everyone. Here's a few more.

The issue that was raised by the Newspoetry folks was that of moderation
policy, in that they feel that some moderation would be needed. I guess
their feeling in general is that there is _no_ such thing as neo-Nazi
Newspoetry as far as they are concerned and would be quite perturbed to
see Newspoetry associated with some of the stuff that is inevitable with
having an Open Newswire for such a venue. I can imagine that many other
artists would feel the same way. I think there is no problem having a
very open approach to editing, which is obvious considering the diverse
tastes of the Newspoets, etc, but there is also some concern over having
something which is unedited, i.e. exactly paralleling the IMC model.

My own thoughts are to make the posting of "articles" there by _free_
subscription only, to make it easier to manage and discouraging the type
of material that would be considered problematic, allowing comments to
be done under the IMC model, if in fact it was desired to have a
comments system like IMC's for an art "Newswire". But this model does
represent something that is not the IMC model and hence may cause
controversy. But I think we already do variations on the classic IMC
model with the Gallery, Public i, and preformance space and we _have_
the classic IMC website alrready, so why not take a flexible approach to
what the model is for this venture?

One way to have sepearate sites that linked together better would be to
have a single story picked from either the top of the seperate
"Newswires" or at random on them to display on the page of the companion
site as a small, complimentary "Newswire", with a link back to the other
site as a way to draw people back and forth. This is something we might
want to consider whatever we do. I always have believed that we needed
to do more crossover with the Public i's site, so this idea could be
applied no matter what the final result is for the current proposal.

But it would take some code hacking, and Clint's already got his hands
full with his obligations, so it might have to be somebody else's
project. ISAHDKWTFIAD with code.

On the Calendaring issue, let's promote what we have already available.
It could grow on its own quite well at a time like now if we get the
word out. The IMC is far from the only group that relied on the CityView
for some no-cost publicity.

Mike Lehman