[Imc-web] arts.ucimc.org musings

Jason Pitzl-Waters jpitzl at wildhunt.org
Sun Jan 26 10:43:43 CST 2003

Been doing some deep-ish thinking on a viable models for the "arts"
sub-site at the UCIMC.

Here are some thoughts. This isn't a final draft thought, it is a work in
progress thought.

We make "arts.ucimc.org" first and foremost an events listing page for all
of the cultural events happening at the UCIMC. It can list happenings at
the gallery, it can list music shows and performers at the revamped Cabaret
and it can list events like the recent film festival which we didn't
promote at all on our end. It can also be a place to post audio talks and
interviews.

This would make "shows.ucimc.org" redundant since it is only a list of
upcoming shows and it could be subsumed into "arts" page. It would also
make redundant my plan to create a separate page for the Cabaret. I still
see a need for the gallery page since it goes far more in depth than an
"arts" page could, but all events and openings on the gallery page would be
cross-posted to "arts".

Secondly, we would encourage the signing up of "member" organizations to
post to "arts". I'm thinking of groups like SDAS, The Newspoets, local zine
creators and other like-minded arts-based groups and performers. These
posts would be coded with a different color or some other visual cue to let
you know that these aren't events happening at the UCIMC.

We could avoid a installation of DADA by perhaps setting up "Moveable Type"
a blogger-esque tool that is used by sites like Paul's "Mediageek". Though
we would have to be able to set up multiple posting accounts.

I have attached a title bar image for the arts site. Let me know what you
think.

-Jason Pitzl-Waters