[Imc-web] even handed censoring

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Sat May 31 09:59:06 CDT 2003

Zach,
The way the policy has been applied so far is very gently at first and to only start hiding such comments by the poster when they become habitual and focused primarily on the insult, instead of discussion. I agree the comment you cited meets the second criteria, but I don't think it meets the first.

I've noticed 2 or 3 comments by the pseudo-Jack in the past, but I'm uncertain if they were all the same person or simply a number of people having fun at his expense, all rather gently poking fun at his bluster. This is the first time that such comments going down to Jack's level, but I can see that as part of something that was intended as biting satire on the situation.

If it gets to be commonplace, this would fall under our policy as presently enforced. Then I wouldn't miss hiding it. But right now, a single comment doesn't meet that standard in my eye, although I'm willing to go along with consensis-making to tighten the interpretation of present policy, if that can be acheived without a lengthy discussion. Otherwise, I'd be enforcing the policy much more strictly for the pseudo-Jack than Jack humself had to face (although, if I had it to do over again with Jack, I would be much quicker on the draw with the Hide button.)
Mike Lehman