[Imc-web] Policy on Announcements in Features

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 18 21:47:57 CDT 2003

Hi Everyone,
Well, I'm still up for having a web meeting at some point, as was
discussed recently. And I have an agenda item for it.

One of the things I've been wishing to talk about for some time has been
the issue of posting announcements to the Feature section. A comment to
this Feature today reminded me of this:
http://www.ucimc.org/feature/display/13734/index.php

I wonder if this was pulled for syndication on the global Indymedia site
and that is where the visitor found it? I can understand his/her
perplexity in some ways.

Although we have always made an effort to cover the arts, as well as
hard news, my concerns about the issue of putting announcements into
Features actually transcend the particular subject matter of this
example. A number of announcements for events, political or art-wise,
have been given Feature status. I am not necessarily wanting to say that
we should not ever do Features on announcements, but I would like to see
a more restrictive policy. Here's why.

Doing an announcement is something done for events that really is not
yet news. I believe that, in general, we should limit announcements to
the Local Newswire. Then, if those attending or participating in the
event want do an actual news story, then that should be considered for
Features. This would be intended to promote the coverage of local news
and events, rather than to have Features used for promotional purposes,
something which has been occurring with more frequency of late.

I can see reasons to make exceptions to this rule, so it doesn't need to
be hard and fast. First, IMC fundraisers would be legitimate reasons for
a Feature announcement, like the recent IMCFest. Second, events in
response to an ongoing news story may also qualify for a Feature
announcement, such as the mass march at the beginning of the latest Iraq
war. These sort of things have mass community interest and go directly
to our mission to serve the activist community.

However, I think Features have been overused for the purpose of
promoting events. I believe that the Local Newswire does an adequate job
of this and that having a policy such as the one I've proposed will
encourage more news coverage of local events, including ones that may
not even be announced in advance on IMC.

Note that I don't have any issue with the coverage by Ben Grosser or the
particular event itself. It falls within our past usage of Features. But
with these stories now being syndicated to global (and perhaps soon, to
a US IMC), I think we should take a look at focusing our policy a little
better to suit the way in which the Feature section is used, often
beyond our own IMC, while encouraging more news stories that are more
compelling because they actually cover events, rather than simply
serving promotional purposes.

I would like to hear what others have to say about this in any case.