[Imc-web] The No "Home" Button, Jack Ryan, etc.

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Tue May 18 10:35:36 CDT 2004

Sascha,
I'm pretty uncertain at this point that what is going on with Jack Ryan, et al is really debate. I should point out that the Feature acquired a group of negative comments within a limited timeframe, ostensibly from different posters (yeah, right), and including TWO by NRA4, before I took an axe to the whole bunch of 'em. Then I ended up with just ONE complaint, from NRA4.

I guess it comes down to whether we are going to let one person make it apepar as if there is some vast rightwing majority of users on the site. Most of what was hidden, taken individually, could slide under the guidelines. Taken together, the group of comments amounts to an intimidating presence that makes the website a very unfriendly place for many users, our target audience.

These people aren't intersted in a debate. "They" (if you can call it that) want to replicate the tyranny of the majority. What is going on is far closer to, as I put it in my comment to NRA4's plaintive whining, nothing more than "a dog marking his turf". My call for some unique and new commentary does not preclude this person posting, just letting them know that they need to give the repetitive BS (which it all was) a rest.
Mike Lehman