[Imc-web] Re: Jack Ryan, RIP

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 19 09:46:56 CST 2004

Paul asked about the exact mode of deletion for Jack Ryan. I saw the message just as I was going out the door this morning, so I'm working from memory here.

I actually was totally deleting him, since I can remember in the past with some of DAN Disinfo's more objectionable stuff we tried just the total hide delete option and the media file would still show up in the Media Gallery (which we do not have on the website anymore and doesn't apply to Jack, since he doesn't post media files anyway.) Checking here on campus without being logged into my editor account, even if you have the file number of the deleted article, all you get is that it was deleted and the reason given. The title of the article and everything else is gone. So I think that just the partial "total hide delete" works without the need to totally delete. And this will give us a little slack when he uses other names, which he has been knwon to do on occasion.

However, if we detect any signs that Jack is using the references to the deleted links as "evidence" of our "censorship" then we should just totally delete when we're sure it's him.

Pauls' second question was about applying this to clear up at the first page or so of the Hidden Articles file. While we didn't specifically address this last night, I see no problem with doing so. However, going back more than a few pages is going to be a major project, since Jack was so, how shall we say, prolific (maybe diarrehic???). So go ahead and take the more recent ones down if you'd like.