[Imc-web] The New York Times Syndicate

Gayden Wren/CORPHQ/NYTIMES wreng at nytimes.com
Fri Feb 4 15:23:37 CST 2005

Mailman at lists.chambana.net

To whom it may concern:

        We have recently become aware of your Web site’s quotation of a
John Shelton Ivany, credited as being “published in 200 national
newspapers.”  The URL in question is:
lists.cu.groogroo.com/mailman/archive/imc-events/2002-February.txt,
and the story concerns an appearance by Charlie King at the university's
Independent Media Center in 2002.

      I am sorry to inform you that you have been the victim of deception.
Mr. Ivany is a hoaxster who during 2002 and 2003 was apparently
representing himself as a writer for The New York Times Syndicate, though
he was not then and never has been a writer or other employee of The New
York Times Syndicate, The New York Times or any related company.  We have
never syndicated or otherwise distributed anything written by Mr. Ivany,
and indeed do not syndicate record reviews by anyone in any form.
      Furthermore, so far as we can determine, “The John Shelton Ivany Top
21” does not appear in any newspaper anywhere, and never has.  Nor is he
affiliated with AOL Music Channel, ASCAP, BMI, Hardrock.com, spinner.com,
TowerRecords.com or United Press International, as he also has claimed in
the past.

      Our legal department has contacted Mr. Ivany, and has obtained
certain assurances that will prevent any future misrepresentation on his
part.  However, we have embarked upon a concerted effort to remove from any
affected Web sites (some 109) any misleading or incorrect material which
would tend to support his fraudulent claims if he should again undertake to
infringe upon the trademark of The New York Times Syndicate and related
companies.
      The citation on your Web site does not directly link Mr. Ivany to The
New York Times Syndicate, but nonetheless would tend to support such
claims.  We thus request that you remove this archive material as soon as
possible.

      Should you have any further questions about this matter, I can be
reached at  (212) 499-3329, and would be happy to discuss it with you.

                                          Sincerely,

                                          Gayden Wren
                                          Entertainment Editor