[Imc-web] OurPlanet... environmental newsletter

E - The Environmental Magazine newsletter1 at emagazine.com
Thu Feb 10 21:25:01 CST 2005

NEWS THIS WEEK
House Committee Bullish on ANWR Drilling
The House Resources Committee is expected to vote this week to revive the White House energy bill calling for oil drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.
Reporting by Roddy Scheer
http://www.emagazine.com/view/?2235

California Sues Feds Over Plans to Quadruple Logging in the Sierra Nevada
Last week, the state of California filed suit against the Bush administration contesting federal plans to significantly expand logging throughout national forests in the Sierra Nevada mountain range.
Reporting by Roddy Scheer
http://www.emagazine.com/view/?2236

Congress Considers Opening HOV Lanes to Hybrids Nationwide
Several states have joined California in lobbying Congress to let states make their own rules regulating which automobiles get access to high-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes. If Congress agrees, the upshot would be that drivers of gas-electric hybrids could access HOV lanes with or without passengers from coast to coast.
Reporting by Roddy Scheer
http://www.emagazine.com/view/?2237

SPECIAL APPEAL
Four More Years?  We're Ready for the Challenge—But We Need Your Help.
http://www.emagazine.com/view/?2134

THIS WEEK'S COMMENTARY
On Global Warming: A Cool Breeze from Britain
EXETER, ENGLAND--January 2005 was the second-warmest January of the past 27 years, according to the Earth System Science Center at the University of Alabama. It was almost a full degree Fahrenheit warmer than seasonal norms. This little fact should be stored along with the huge inventory of anecdotal evidence that the planet is warming, the kind of material amply documented in our book Feeling the Heat.
By Jim Motavalli
http://www.emagazine.com/view/?2238

GREEN LIVING
Not Grandma’s Tableware
Style and Sustainability in the Dining Room
Housewares make up one of the biggest retail industries in the United States today, and “green” tableware is defining a new aesthetic.
By Jennifer Vogel
http://www.emagazine.com/view/?2194

FEATURES
City Kids Learn About the Land
Hawthorne Valley Farm is home to dairy cows, some piglets and a team of biodynamic farmers. There’s also a high-energy bunch of nine-to-15-year-old urbanites cheerfully turning the compost, helping bake sourdough bread in the bakery, milking dairy cows and rising at six a.m. to feed the animals.
By Rebecca Bowe
http://www.emagazine.com/view/?2166

WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT
This content is brought to you as a free public service by E/The Environmental Magazine, which is published by Earth Action Network, Inc., a non-profit 501 (c) (3) organization.  Our address is 28 Knight Street, Norwalk, CT 06851.

We ask that you:

Subscribe to our magazine ($20/yr US): http://www.emagazine.com/subscriber_services.html

Order a Free Trial Issue: https://www.kable.com/pub/enmg/subTrial.asp

Make a tax deductible donation: https://secure.groundspring.org/dn/index.php?id=1805