[Imc-web] in search of web consultant

dporreca at insightbb.com dporreca at insightbb.com
Tue Jul 5 21:47:28 CDT 2005

Hi,

I'm Dave Porreca, an IMC member and journalism teacher/newspaper
adviser at University Laboratory High School in Urbana. This summer
my students are going to design an online version of our print
newspaper, the Gargoyle.

My students and I agree that we want to do more than simply post our
print content online. We're excited about the concept of open-source
journalism as discussed in Dan Gillmor's "We the Media" and
elsewhere. We have dailykos.com, ohmynews.com, and your own site in
mind as models of the sort of online community we'd like to create.

I'm writing you because I'm not a Web designer and have no experience
in setting up a content management system such as Mambo, PostNuke or
Scoop. Even though several of my students have considerable expertise
in this area, I think it would be valuable for us to have an outside
consultant with whom we could discuss our ideas and who could give us
occasional technical advice.

Basically, I'm asking if there is anyone at IMC who would be
interested in serving as a consultant to our online "startup." This
wouldn't require much in the way of a time commitment. Much of the
communication would probably be done via e-mail. If you're familiar
with Uni High students, you know they're amazingly bright. They learn
quickly, so you wouldn't be asked to do any hand-holding.

Several student editors and I will meet at Cafe Kopi this Friday at 6
p.m. You're welcome to join us. In fact, it would be great if someone
from IMC dropped by. I've long wanted Uni High's journalism program
to develop a working relationship with IMC. Of course, the
refreshments are on me.

If someone could reply to this one way or another, I'd really
appreciate it.

Thanks.

Dave Porreca
Uni High