[Imc-web] Re: question about IMC website

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 7 11:33:26 CDT 2006

Hi Ricky,
Yes, it's an old article of yours from 2003. I hid it as an experiment.
Most readers of the website are probably not aware of it, but the IMC
site has been deluged over the last year by literally tens of thousands
of ads disguised as comments to articles. Some of these we can delete
automatically, but many of them have to be manually deleted one at a time.

The spammers seem to choose articles to repeatedly hit, apparently
either because the article was included in a database they bought as
part of their "get rich quick on the internet" package or because of a
relatively high Google ranking. A few articles, including this one of
yours, are simply repeatedly swamped with such crap. I decided to try
completely hiding the article -- which is something different than the
hiding it so that it shows up in Hidden Articles -- as this cuts off the
ability to add new comments and might lighten our workload.

It may be that the spammers simply choose new targets, in which case
we're better off leaving the old targets up. If they do move along, then
there are about a dozen other old articles that I may propose for this
treatment.

I'd be interested in any thoughts or concerns you may have about this.
The article can be restored at any time. I really hate to hide anything
that doesn't need it, but until we get new software to run the website
that prevents this sort of automated spamming, we're kind of backed into
the corner on what we can do about the workload caused by this problem.
Mike Lehman