[Imc-web] Re: Note of 12/27

Gayden Wren/CORPHQ/NYTIMES wreng at nytimes.com
Wed Jan 18 10:06:22 CST 2006

Dear Mr. Lehman:

      Points all well-taken, especially your last.  Though I've done most
of my Ivany work on my own time--this doesn't appear in my job description,
and my days are pretty packed to begin with--I can appreciate the
imposition that this extensive correspondence (over five words, no less)
represents to your own schedule.
      And I wish we were a media giant, or at least that I were paid as if
we were!  It's true that The New York Times is, but we are a small
distribution service that happens to be owned by the same company which
owns the newspaper, and is otherwise unconnected with it.  I am one of a
staff of six working not in the landmark New York Times Building in
midtown, but in a converted warehouse (still with yellow paint on the
concrete floors) in a downtown waterfront area appealingly called "the
meat-packing district."  No meatpacking currently goes on hereabouts, so
far as I can tell, but we do have a chocolate factory as our next-door
neighbor.
      (I myself am a theater person--playwright and director--working this
job, at some rather odd hours, as compensation for society's lack of
economic valuation of its artists.  And, to correct a misapprehension in
some of the material your colleagues have posted, I'm male.)

      So, as to the posting concerning Mr. Ivany:  So far as I can tell,
the IMC is itself the original poster, since it was promoting the 2002 IMC
Independent Music Festival.  Are you waiting for a request from yourself
before proceeding?  Or is there someone else there with whom I should be
talking?
      I had suggested Mr. King as a compromise, since his handout biography
was the original source of the misinformation.  I would just as soon not
trouble him over this, as I've had to bother him once already (to get the
misinformation removed from his Web site) and I understand that he's
ailing, so I'd welcome the opportunity to resolve this without bothering
him, if you can direct me to the appropriate person.

                                                Very truly yours,

                                                Gayden Wren