[Imc-web] RE: IMC-Web Digest, Vol 33, Issue 13

Phil Stinard pstinard at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 19 14:33:32 CDT 2006

I thought about not saying anything more about the hiding of comments, but
I'll write (hopefully) one last time.  I think it's ridiculous to be hiding
comments that you think might be by the person you have raised to mythic
heights--Jack Ryan.  I've had a disturbing number of my own comments hidden
when I've posted anonymously, and when I've complained about that in the
past, I've been told, "Oh, we thought you were Jack Ryan."  My reply to that
is, who cares about Jacky Ryan?  People can make up their own minds about
whether a post is legitimate, and choose whether to reply to it or ignore
it.  The only Jack Ryan posts I've seen that were worthy of hiding was when
he was posting soft-core porn making fun of the Cream City Collective.
Can't you decide whether to hide something based on whether it is
pornographic, or whether it advocates violence, or whatever objective
criteria you apply in such matters, rather than hiding stuff you think fits
the political or stylistic mindset of a person you're turning into a mythic
villain/hero?  You're catching too many others in the crossfire.

A second concern I have on hiding comments is your criteria.  When I was
posting on what the Bible says on homosexuality, there was a repeat
anonymous poster who kept badgering me with lies and false assumptions about
me, and they said, among other things, that my Pastor preaches hate.  I know
that this person does not know my Pastor.  My Pastor is a civil rights
leader, as are many black church leaders, and making such false blanket
statements in ignorance is perhaps one reason why some black churches aren't
more involved in the types of issues that the IMC supports.  If my Pastor
came to me and asked my opinion about whether to become involved in a
certain cause, I'd think twice before making a positive recommendation if it
were something that involved the IMC.  I don't really think you should be
hiding any of these comments, whether written by an anonymous poison pen, or
by Jack Ryan, but my point is, you'll hide stuff that you think is from a
relatively benign and self-evident troll, but you won't hide stuff that is
not only false, but also damaging to community relations.  It makes no sense
to me.

--Phil