[Imc-web] Re: Feature, and a Question

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 7 08:25:23 CST 2007

Brian,
OK, but this raises the question of who granted you editing privileges:

1. Without notification and/or discussion among the other editor's from
IMC-Web. This is not a big deal, but it all too easily leads to
misunderstandings. Web editing has the longest history of any media
activity at UC IMC and is fraught with a number of understood but not
always written policies. New editors are typically briefed and always,
just like trhe rest of us, subject to proper notices when certain
decisions are made.

2. The problems that can be caused when someone is made an editor, yet
has apparently not been briefed on policy.

I would suggest that you do not engage in further editing until we've
had a chance to have these issues discussed and settled. You are not
even a member of the IMC-Web list, so you're effectively out of
communication with the rest of us. Editing can all too easily create
issues that other posters will raise if it seemingly results in a vanity
press. I think you took entirely the wrong cue from my discussion about
the regalia article and that is definitely leading to further
misunderstandings.

Since you apparently didn't receive the email with my concerns about
Featuring announcements from Monday, I'll copy it below. This is just a
start on a variety of things you'll need to learn and apply as policy if
you're going to be join in editing
Mike Lehman

Subject: [Imc-web] Policy on Featuring Announcements
Date: 2/5/2007 1:30 PM
I want to raise a couple of concerns about featuring announcements.
First, I've seen no messages regarding Brian Dolinar's two stories being
made into features, as they should be sent to this list per policy.

The main issue is that both stories are basically announcements and
really offer little new info about either long-running story. It has
been our policy for some time that announcements should not be featured,
with exceptions being available for IMC events. If an announcement
provides substantive new info related to an ongoing story, then an
exception can be made, but I don't really see that in either of these
cases -- and if it exists, it should be noted in the feature email sent
to imc-web when that is done.

Another factor is that we now have the "Upcoming Events" news wire that
provides even more exposure than simply offering Local Newswire space
for announcements.

Brian sent me a message about featuring both of these a few days ago. I
have noted current policy on this to him before and advised him that I
didn't think either really qualified for an exception. I also advised
him that he should send such requests to the imc-web list, so that more
people could be involved in making such decisions, rather than making
personal requests of individual editors without input from others. I
haven't seen such a message.

I also advised Brian that he could move his stories up to the Upcoming
Events newswire, just so long as he added a date to the headline. I went
to the trouble of explaining what he needed to do, since when he's
signed in as a regular user, this means he won't be so dependent on
waiting for us to fix issues with his many stories.

If people think we should review the existing policy, then we should
meet and do that. At a minimum, such requests should be made to the
imc-web list and any decisions made to feature them should be documented
with a message from the editor doing so back to the imc-web list, giving
the reasons why an exception should be made.

Please note that this in no way constitutes a judgment about the
importance of either event or action. It's just that this issue has a
long history that may not be apparent to all of those with current
editor privileges. It has always been somewhat of a problem with people
being motivated to use our site for announcements, but being far less
motivated to file an actual news story afterwards telling our readers
what actually happened. I know we take a very wide view of what
constitutes news on Indymedia, but there is a clear difference between
that and an announcement that I think is worth respecting. If nothing
else, then we're going to start receiving complaints from those whose
announcements did not get featured, as well as filling up the feature
section with stuff that isn't really news.

A final factor to consider is syndication. Right now, I don't think it's
working, so it's not an issue, but we really do desperately need to get
it working. Then, anything that is an announcement here will be even
less suitable for syndication. If you review what is featured elsewhere
in Indymedia, you'll see that other IMCs follow a policy on featuring
announcements that is very similar to our existing policy. In any case,
there is little additional value in syndicating announcements -- and it
would tend to make US Indymedia a far more boring read and less
compelling to return to, for instance, if it was full of mostly locally
oriented announcements like those I've been discussing here.

I realize this is a complicated issue with a number of nuances that are
hard to address via email. I think it might be good to have a meeting,
if there is a perceived need to change the existing policy. But in the
meantime, I think existing policy has served us well and I request that
we try to follow it as best possible in the meantime.
Mike Lehman