[Imc-web] More on an Editting Request

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 14 10:07:10 CST 2007

I have altered the contents of the email below in responding to this
request. Basically, I think it would be OK to alter the article (20160
on the old site) by substituting initials for the name in question, but
even this is going to require some email exchanges, which could only
make the situation worse from her POV. She is already expanding the
scope of her requests, seemingly oblivious to the fact that this tends
to aggravate the situation.
Mike Lehman

Dear Ms. P.,
Responding to your points in order:

1. I really doubt that you have been seriously misquoted by Ms. Doggett.
The quote is very bland and I really do not see how it could be twisted
into something controversial, even if it is not exact. In fact,
exactitude is not the issue, misrepresentation is and I just don't see
that there is any issue with that. I happen to engage in the study of
memory as part of my work. I am fairly sure that Ms. Doggett's quote of
you shortly after the event happened is at least as, if not more
accurate, than your own recall of it at this point. The fact that you
merely make a claim of inaccuracy, rather than specifically disputing
any of the quote itself, along with your original request that indicated
no inaccuracies, leads me to believe that you seem to believe that
rephrasing your request is sufficient to justify the edit. I am not
convinced on this point and you also seem to have made no effort to
contact Ms. Doggett.

As for altering our email archive, this will be difficult, if not
impossible. We do most of our work online and our archives are part of
our policy of transparency, as well as being one of the inevitable
features of the internet anyway. Once again, I think you are asking
others to take responsibility for your own decisions to engage in
communication with reporters and others involved with IMC. It is also a
very basic fact of the internet that virtually everything on it is
logged and stored somewhere. You can't unscramble an egg.

2. As I noted in my previous email, speaking with reporters and even
ordinary individuals on the street can lead to your name being in all
sorts of places on the internet. There is nothing unethical, illegal, or
questionable about this happening. Your own naivety about how the
internet, as well as how society, operates seems to be more the issue
here than your irrelevant and legally unsupportable claims that you need
to give specific permission before you name appears on the internet
under circumstances such as these. You do have the personal right to
refuse to give you name and to avoid sending email to others. After
you've made the decision to do either, your claims are overridden by the
fact that you've made the decision to self-identify.

Also, as I've already mentioned, content on our site remains the
property of those who post or author it. There are a number of reasons
for that, but among them is the fact that a website that is open to the
posting of news and information cannot verify the accuracy of such
postings. We leave it up to other users to  dispute any inaccuracies
via comments to the original posting. We do not want, and specifically
disclaim, any responsibility for "*the content and validity of information".

*I am willing to suggest to the other editors that the archived article
be altered to include only your initials, as this seems to be a
reasonable compromise that does not alter the content in a substantive
way. However, to do so, I will need to contact them via email, identify
your name as needing editing, and this will likely result in further
archiving of your name. And, no, we will not make pointless attempts to
chase all those links down to edit them after the fact. I don't mean to
sound stubborn about your request, but I really don't think you
appreciate how impossible a task trying to remove anything from the
internet really is due to the technology involved.
Mike Lehman
**