[Imc-web] Re: [UCIMC-Tech] Re: [Imc] Today's Internet Outage

Matthew Isaacs matt at cuwin.net
Fri Jul 13 09:05:21 CDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-07-12 at 22:51 -0500, Mike Lehman wrote:
> Dan,
> I guess this means that previous planning for better connectivity at the
> IMC has hit a snag? Time for some sort of Plan B, as Insight was never
> meant as anything more than a temporary solution based on what I
> remember. There are several obstacles to be overcome.
>
> Planning for solicitation of funding from chambana.net users is
> something that needs to be concluded and an appeal and/or online
> donation venues need to be provided, ASAP. Do I understand correctly
> this was one of the things that was lost in the Great March Server
> Meltdown? It seems like a very high priority to pursue funding in
> recovering from that, at a minimum. We need to also see if developing
> this revenue stream can sustain things or whether we need to come up
> with something else, such as assessing working groups by bandwidth or
> something.

There's somewhat of a catch-22 here.  The service levels that are able
to be provided with Insight as the ISP may make it difficult to convince
people to contribute (or us in good faith to ask for them).  But any
upgrade would likely cost a good deal more than we are currently paying
for Insight, which will likely be difficult to fund without donations
from users.

> I've been a spectator to these and other recent tech issues, except for
> being an occasionally frustrated IMC-web editor. I've noticed that many
> of those expecting help from IMC-Tech are techies themselves. In the old
> days, this would have precipitated a Tech meeting to get good solutions
> to the issues.

I think a tech meeting would be a good idea.  I would suggest that we
should also encourage representatives from the groups who utilize the
services to join in the discussion, as I think their feedback will be
essential for the long-term success of any changes.

> Now, everything seems to get funneled to you and whatever else
> constitutes the nearly-nonexistent IMC-Tech group. I would suggest that
> the optimal solution here is to get people together, especially those
> with tech skills in currently active IMC working groups. IMC-Tech has
> always found this model of those "with a dog in the fight" solving the
> problems that we face worked. I'm not a techie, so can't help but to
> remind us that all the energy spent wondering why "IMC-Tech" hadn't
> solved problem  "X" that my working group "X" needs solved ASAP might be
> better spent on more holistic and participatory solutions in a revived
> IMC-Tech group.
>
> Unless we revive the IMC-Tech group into more than what you and Josh can
> handle in whatever time you have to devote to it, then all those
> expecting connectivity, etc at the IMC will likely see further
> deterioration. We have more infrastructure, higher expectations, and
> less people power than ever to maintain it.
>
> People either need to get used to putting up with the rough edges -- or
> they need to do some organizing to get IMC-Tech healthy again.
>
> As for Insight, the sooner we are no longer dependent on that ship o'
> fools, the better, given the last couple of days of incompetence on
> their part.

This is likely to just get worse, as Comcast has recently bought out
Insight.  I think the deal is still pending, but chances are within the
next year we'll be dealing with Comcast.  I know people elsewhere that
have recently been forced to switch to Comcast due to similar buy-outs,
and they would be delighted to have the service that Insight offers.