[Imc-web] Re: [UCIMC-Tech] Re: [Imc] Today's Internet Outage

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 12 22:51:21 CDT 2007

Dan,
I guess this means that previous planning for better connectivity at the
IMC has hit a snag? Time for some sort of Plan B, as Insight was never
meant as anything more than a temporary solution based on what I
remember. There are several obstacles to be overcome.

Planning for solicitation of funding from chambana.net users is
something that needs to be concluded and an appeal and/or online
donation venues need to be provided, ASAP. Do I understand correctly
this was one of the things that was lost in the Great March Server
Meltdown? It seems like a very high priority to pursue funding in
recovering from that, at a minimum. We need to also see if developing
this revenue stream can sustain things or whether we need to come up
with something else, such as assessing working groups by bandwidth or
something.

I've been a spectator to these and other recent tech issues, except for
being an occasionally frustrated IMC-web editor. I've noticed that many
of those expecting help from IMC-Tech are techies themselves. In the old
days, this would have precipitated a Tech meeting to get good solutions
to the issues.

Now, everything seems to get funneled to you and whatever else
constitutes the nearly-nonexistent IMC-Tech group. I would suggest that
the optimal solution here is to get people together, especially those
with tech skills in currently active IMC working groups. IMC-Tech has
always found this model of those "with a dog in the fight" solving the
problems that we face worked. I'm not a techie, so can't help but to
remind us that all the energy spent wondering why "IMC-Tech" hadn't
solved problem  "X" that my working group "X" needs solved ASAP might be
better spent on more holistic and participatory solutions in a revived
IMC-Tech group.

Unless we revive the IMC-Tech group into more than what you and Josh can
handle in whatever time you have to devote to it, then all those
expecting connectivity, etc at the IMC will likely see further
deterioration. We have more infrastructure, higher expectations, and
less people power than ever to maintain it.

People either need to get used to putting up with the rough edges -- or
they need to do some organizing to get IMC-Tech healthy again.

As for Insight, the sooner we are no longer dependent on that ship o'
fools, the better, given the last couple of days of incompetence on
their part. Are we the only location affected? Or are others in downtown
similarly afflicted?

My 2 cents as a user (but definitely not a techie),
Mike Lehman