[Imc-web] Inappropriate Post

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Wed Mar 7 11:30:01 CST 2007

Could IMC web editors and all those interested meet next Wednesday at
8:30 at the IMC (I have a meeting about water at the IMC at 7 so can't
make it earlier)?

A few responses below:

> > Posting administrative information publicly.
> > --> Administrators have access to information such as account e-mails
> > and IP addresses that the public does not.  Recently an IMC web editor
> > posted information about the source of anonymous posts.  I find this
> > inappropriate and would like to suggest a policy where we make it
> > clear that IMC web editors are not to engage in this.
>
> Excuse me, but I did not publicize the IP address or likely poster.
> The only thing I noted was that the sources of certain anonymous
> posts were the same.  This was significant because it looked like
> the writer was trying to create the appearance that the posts
> came from different people.  This is known as sockpuppetry, and
> it's generally considered dishonest.  Are we going to put up with
> this too and prohibit editors from challenging it?

This is great question.  I don't believe we have a policy on this and
would like to discuss further.  We both have concerns - a meeting is
the best way to resolve these.

> > IMC Web Editor perogative
> > --> I am concerned with web editors engaging in trolling-like
> > behavior, in a recent case, against another IMC member.  The best way
> > to handle concerns about accuracy of information coming out of IMC
> > journalists is to engage in conversation.  I would like to invite
> > Wendy, Brian, Chris, Mike, and others to the table to discuss the
> > reporting on the Myers case and allow for reasonable face to face
> > conversation about concerns, giving Wendy the ability to raise them
> > and Brian the ability to respond to them.  I would also like to weigh
> > in on this discussion.
>
> I get so tired of hearing posts people don't like categorized as
> "trolling."  A cop wants to disagree with some of Brian's assertions?
> Clearly he must be a troll.  In fact, this seems to be one of the
> reasons that so many people look down on UCIMC.  It's embarrassing that
> IlliniPundit is a lot more tolerant of dissent than we are, even
> though we apparently claim to be concerned about free speech.

As you see below, I do want to clarfy our policy about what gets
hidden as trolling.  The comment "so many people look down on UCIMC"
as though this is common, abvious knowledge, is confusing to me.  Do
you mean so many on Illini Pundit?  If so, I am not surprised.  As
someone intimately involved in finances, we have had a huge surge of
membership, donations, participation, so I don't agree that "so many
people look down on the UCIMC."

Can people make it Wed at 8:30?

thanks!
Danielle