[Imc-web] Inappropriate Post

Wendy Edwards wedwards at uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 7 11:45:03 CST 2007

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 11:30:01AM -0600, Danielle Chynoweth wrote:
> Could IMC web editors and all those interested meet next Wednesday at
> 8:30 at the IMC (I have a meeting about water at the IMC at 7 so can't
> make it earlier)?

Let me think about it and check my schedule.

> As you see below, I do want to clarfy our policy about what gets
> hidden as trolling.  The comment "so many people look down on UCIMC"
> as though this is common, abvious knowledge, is confusing to me.  Do
> you mean so many on Illini Pundit?  If so, I am not surprised.  As
> someone intimately involved in finances, we have had a huge surge of
> membership, donations, participation, so I don't agree that "so many
> people look down on the UCIMC."

Some of the people may be associated with IP.  I showed up at a local
"blogger bash" a couple of weeks ago that had a number of local
bloggers.  One guy who was generally pretty friendly basically
said, "Sorry, UCIMC is a worthless site."  In fact, I don't
remember meeting anyone who seemed to have a high opinion of
the content on our site, and I've also heard from left-leaning
people who have been turned off by some of the "investigative
reporting."  At the blogger gathering, I tried explaining to the
guy that not all UCIMC members were like Brian, and some of them
really had valuable things to say.  If the membership, donations,
and participation are up, that's great.

Wendy