[Imc-web] my last comment

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 24 13:17:56 CDT 2007

I hid the comment for two reasons. One, you started your argument by
arguing from the presumption that our editorial policy is a censorious
one. Like any press, we have the right to make policy and choices about
the sort of discourse that appears on our website.  Labeling it as
"leftist" and "doctrinaire" is simply a gratuitous and unwarranted
attack on our editorial policy, as well as a very inaccurate
generalization about UC IMC members and users of the website. Anyone who
has been following the recent discussion of the workings of white
supremacy in the Champaign County justice system can see that this is
not the case. For instance, do you consider yourself as part of this
"leftist" crowd you're attacking? If not, then you have just disproved
the statement you made. In addition, discussion of our editorial policy
(as it typically does for the great majority of such web-based services)
takes place in two places -- on this list or in face to face meetings --
and not as comments to unrelated stories.

In addition, you chose to use a fundamentally racist presumption::
> many on the Left refuse to acknowledge the fact that black people
> commit more violent crimes, as a percentage of their population, than
> non-blacks. This is backed up by the higher rates of arrest and
> conviction (and the total absence of evidence for some kind of white
> supremacist conspiracy), and, just as importantly, the higher
> victimization rate of blacks.
Given the string of unproven assumptions, your anonymous comments, and
the chip you so proudly display on your shoulder about them -- a
conclusion reinforced by the tone of your email here -- I concluded that
you were trolling per our policy.
Mike Lehman