[Imc-web] A Problematic Pattern

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 7 13:10:17 CST 2009

I hid this article this morning:
http://www.ucimc.org/content/president-obama-youtubes-4-us-kids

These postings have appeared here irregularly in the past. The all-caps
thing now seems to have taken over. Likewise, it's clear the intent is
to spam the IMC network as a whole, as can be seen by the poster's
inclusion of the entire list of IMCs, which a quick check of other IMCs
shows is happening. And it's definitely not Local news here, where it's
now being posted.

This was merely irritating in the past. Now it's problematic for all of
the reasons I just listed. If whoever is doing these starts behaving
more circumspectly about their abuse of our Local Newswire and the IMC
network as a whole, I can see letting this posts continue in the future,
so long as they are restricted to our Global Newswire. However, if this
pattern continues, I'd argue it's time to consider a permanent ban.