[Imc-web] Re: Interview request

Marti Wilkinson martiwilki at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 00:43:02 CDT 2009

I think the print group might be better able to address the nature of the
study. As a graduate student in communication studies I can say that much of
the research I have encountered has addressed the activist driven nature of
independent media.

There is also a distinction that can be made between the gatekeeping
functions of independent media and how sites like CNN and MSNBC handle
'citizen' news. Indymedia tends to be more of an open source portal where
people can self publish....while traditional news has to be filtered through
a professional editor or moderator.

What comes to my mind is some of the experiences that Brian Dolinar has had
in regards to getting FOIA requests from the local police department and the
situation with Police Chief Finney when he had Brian kicked out of a press
conference for not being a "real" journalist. Brian and other members of the
print group have been very proactive about seeing to it that we are able to
offer a much different perspective on social justice issues than what gets
presented in the News Gazette.

Just my not so humble opinion :D

Marti Wilkinson