[Imcfest-volunteers] Alcohol at IMCfest 2007...

Michelle Shumate shumate at uiuc.edu
Wed Aug 22 20:06:21 CDT 2007

Sure... the meeting is at 2:30 (during the slow time at the restaurant).  It
isn't a contract meeting, but a "consultation" (his word).  The idea is for
me to come back with an idea about the financial risk people want to take
with the food so we can get an idea (i.e do we just want them to take all
the risk or do we want to take on some risk to get some margin off
concessions).  We also might try to estimate, based upon past events, how
many heads we are probably talking about and at what portions of the event
we want concessions set up.

Michelle

On 8/22/07, dan blah <blah at chambana.net> wrote:

> Awesome work.  So I am going to assume 1 and 2 dead... we are going to
> have to be able to have/sell alcohol during this event for it to be
> successful, IMO.  I also agree we should shoot for option 3 if the
> budget provides as we then have a chance for more income although it
> doesn't hurt to get them signed up for option 1 if we can.
>
> The budget amount is still fairly hazy and is actually operating
> backwards in that contributers want to know what things cost and to give
> money for things we know prices for.  Knowing this, I have been trying
> to get as many quotes for items as possible w/o signing anything so that
> I can relay the amounts needed to larger contributers.
>
> Soooo... first, do you mind if I tag along Sept. 5th?  I think you
> should shoot for getting a quote (if I can get together an estimate of
> how many people by then) for the option of us buying food and reselling
> it.
>
> Again, this is good work Michelle.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Daniel
> Michelle Shumate wrote:
> > I am writing to give my update on the catering calls...Here's the skinny
> >
> > 1) Michael's- we can buy their box lunches....$7.50/box and sell for a
> > margin  ($8.50 or $8.00 box).  We take the risk, but they can make them
> up
> > for us day to day over the event.  They don't do cash bars.
> >
> > 2) Classic events- no cash bar without food...we buy food and can't
> > resell...basically no go here
> >
> > 3) English Hedgerow- I have a sit down meeting with the owner on Sept.
> 5.  I
> > think that this is the best option for a few reasons.  1) Organic eats
> and
> > corn-based wrappers that break down (environmentally conscious food is
> their
> > niche) 2) Willing, if exposure is good, to potentially carry all the
> risks
> > and act as a concession for beverage and food (they did this at the
> > Greencards concert).  This makes them no profit, but just getting
> started,
> > need publicity, and they like our mission.  On the down-side, we have no
> > potential to make a margin if we take no risks.  3) We buy food and
> charge a
> > mark up as fund raiser and they handle drinks.  This puts some of the
> risk
> > on us (people may not eat all the food we buy), but creates another
> > opportunity for fund raising.  I haven't given him a firm answer on 2 or
> 3
> > (knew I needed to chat with people).  I think this group is the way to
> go.
> > He used to be involved with similarly aligned groups in Portland (I will
> > figure out what that means on my face-to-face meet up).
> >
> > Let me know what you think!
> >
> > Michelle

> [...]

Michelle Shumate
Assistant Professor