[Newspoetry] meet your new editor

gillespie william k gillespi at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Fri Apr 2 15:16:15 CST 1999

While I'm on the book tour, Joe Futrelle will be overseeing the Newspoetry
site, with the explicit guarantee that he doesn't have to do anything he
doesn't feel like doing. Still, he will be a good one to email from
Monday the 5th through Sunday the 18th, if you see something wrong or if
you write a new poem. I may or may not have email access during that time.
Whether or not I do, though, my inbox will quickly become thoroughly
flooded and I will be slow to respond to messages. (people keep putting me
on their listservs without asking, exactly as I did to most of you - I
just found out I'm on the NRA listserv)

About Joe Futrelle: he's a two fisted hard-copy editor who likes tall
highballs and good cuban cigars. He wants it on his desk first thing in
the morning. He has been known to fire muses who aren't up to snuff. He
can frequently be seen at the Office yelling at basketball coaches or at
wide-screen TVs. In short, he is a hardworking newspoet man who drinks a
stiff cup of bad coffee immediately before bed so he can be on the train
in the morning with less than two hours sleep. And he has a sensitive side
too, which you can get in touch with by visiting Schneerz, at

http://schneertz.ncsa.uiuc.edu/

Thanks everyone,
I'll tell the hypertext literati that we're pulling for 'em in Y2K.

-William

P.S. You are all unofficially invited to an as-yet-unconfirmed recording
session to read parts of the Unknown into microphones at Studio 109,
maybe, but I don't know when, maybe Sunday the 18th, or not, it's up to
Paul. That there will be beer is the only thing we are at this point
confident of.

Also you are all invited to watch the Unknown give an interactive reading at
their alma mater in Normal, IL, (one hour from C-U) using one of those
fancy overhead projector monitor thingies the night of Tuesday the 20th.

People who are immodest suck, nonetheless, I'm proud to be able to boast of
being paid to give a reading at ISU when
just four years ago they rejected my admittance into their English program
(ranked at 1000th in the nation) two years in a row. Ha ha. If only I had
looked deep into Professor Woodson's eyes, in 1994, when he was telling me
about my poor academic record, and told him that this was going to happen.