[Newspoetry] greetings from Providence!

gillespie william k gillespi at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Wed Apr 7 13:39:33 CDT 1999

I'm sitting in the project room of the Offices of the Scholarly Technology
Groups at Brown. The weather here is humming and flourescent. We're having
a great time!

Anyway, I am writing this message because, as you know, I have been trying
for some time to think of ways for the Newspoetry Project to raise some
money. Anyway, I was talking to a friend the other day about how it might
be cool to work at NASA. So I was wondering how hard it is to get a job
there and I was surfing the net and found an application. It actually
looks pretty straightforward. It looks like it's the same application
whether you're applying for astronomer, astronaut, programmer, or clerk. I
copied and pasted it into this email because I thought we all could get
jobs there.

Here it is:

NASA Application

1. What's your favorite planet? __________
2. Do you believe in blackholes? _________
3. If you were in zero gravity, what's the first thing you would do?
_________
4. How many G-forces do you think you can withstand before your head
explodes? __________
5. Wouldn't it be cool to look through a really big telescope? __________
6. Still, if you've got to go, burning up in the atmosphere is as least as
good as any other way, don't you think? __________
7. Do you think Saturn is pretty? _________
8. How come Mars has two moons? __________
9. Stars are really really big aren't they? __________
10. What kind of film do you put in your camera when taking photographs of
the earth from orbit? _________
11. Sometimes, I think the moon is so beautiful that it's too bad that
it's close enough for us to fuck up with American flags and junk.
_________
12. Is it true that Tycho wore a metal nose? What's up with that?
_________
13. Did you ever notice how when there's a falling star, usually only one
person sees it? _________
14. Of course, those aren't really falling stars. That would be bad if
that happened. __________
15. Too bad everything pretty much looks like a dot. _________