[Newspoetry] Unknown news

gillespie william k gillespi at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Fri Apr 9 15:07:58 CDT 1999

Well, we're gonna write about this in more detail and with better jokes,
but in short the life is not bad. Tonight we have three interconnected
rooms at the Brown Inn. We hope to trash them by tomorrow.

We're in the Brown newspaper (described as "three professors from the
University of Chicago" (seriously)), and we might be in the New York Times
next Thursday in their new electronic section (called "circuits" or
something).

Scott did his best to sit beside the Times reporter at every meal and
event. He sat behind her in a conference room, asked to borrow her copy of
the Times, and flipped through it saying "there's nothing about the
Unknown in here."

There's been a lot of discussions about "text". There are a lot of
succesful programmers, representatives from publishing houses, people who
own companies, the editor of PC magazine, tenure-tracks, and some
interesting people as well. There are some cool people and ideas and
programs and a lot of theoretical bullshit and people proclaiming the
death of various things.

We're living up to our fictional personas. The guy who runs the lab here
at the Scholarly Technologies Group is real proud of his hangover, since
he got to drink with the Unknown at the Brown Graduate Center Bar. ISU
didn't have a graduate bar. Or lounge or computer lab for that matter.

I'm sending all my kids here to study with Coover, whether they like it or
not.

I look forward to getting home. But this whole thing is
really funny. It would suck if I were here alone. As it is, I can't stop
laughing.

Gotta go,
Love, William