[Newspoetry] Re: WTO:NPR and N-G coverage and WEFT

Bill Wendling wendling at ganymede.isdn.uiuc.edu
Thu Dec 2 17:23:07 CST 1999

} A couple of quick things.
}
} NPR's 'All Things Considered' had a story about the anarchists
} participating in the Seattle protests. I know that they are becoming
} pretty much Corporate Amerika's upscale mouthpiece.
} I think they are becoming a little obvious when they use a 'Wall Street
} Journal' reporter as the main source for a story of this nature,
} though.  Maybe they considered it a balanced piece because both sides
} were represented? -One side, the Megacorps, talking about the other
} side, the anarchists. I'm sure tomorrow they'll have a story on the
} Megacorps, with the main source being an anarchist.
}
} Also, on the front page of today's N-G is a picture of some of the
} "unarmed" National Guard sent to enforce martial law in Seattle. They
} all seem to brandishing night sticks. Last time I checked, it's
} relatively easy to strike a fatal blow with one of those things.
}
} BTW, gas masks have been banned under the martial law declaration, by
} classifying them as being in the same class as  weapons. So it looks
} like protestors "armed" with gas masks may confront "unarmed" Guardsmen
} carrying batons. I bet it isn't the Guard that ends up sustaining the
} majority of injuries.
}
This is actually making me cry. Democracy is dieing before our eyes.