[Newspoetry] The Future

Bill Wendling wendling at ganymede.isdn.uiuc.edu
Mon Dec 20 17:16:30 CST 1999

WiReD magazine has an issue dedicated to "what will happen in the future"
where they ask everyone remotely famous what they think will occur. I
thought we should do the same. I'll start:

	The ozone layer will be all but gone by the middle of the next
	century. The rate of skin cancers trebles overnight. People still
	refuse to believe that they are responsible for it happening.

	Crime will continue to fall as police all over the country use
	gestapo tactics to keep the people in line. The citizens in
	American will have long since given up most of their basic rights
	in the wake of media induced hysteria over crime and will, thus,
	be powerless against it.

	Corporate sponsership of politicians becomes so blatant that the
	politico will no longer deny that they are bought but use it as a
	sign of pride. "Vote for me! Pepsi(tm) believes in me, so should
	you!"

	Species diversity will continue to decline, due in no small part
	to the continued destruction of the rainforests, the absense of
	an ozone layer, and human overpopulation. The only animals left
	will be those breed specifically for us to eat or to keep as
	pets.

	The inner cities will decay even more than they are now. They
	will literally be lawless zones where even the police won't go.

	The CIA will introduce more drugs into our society as well as
	other to fund more of their covert activities. These drugs will
	be more addictive than crack.

	The United States will be even more dominant than it already is
	in the world. More and more, third world, and even some second
	world, nations will be enslaved to us literally.

	The US will continue its bombing campaign against any country
	which does not cave into our more and more inhumane demands.
	Biological weapons will be used. These weapons can kill very
	slowly and painfully. They will be developed by Monsanto.

	At the end of the century, the Amazon rainforest will be
	virtually gone. The world starts to suffocate and oxygen becomes
	something only the very rich will be able to afford.

Happy New Year/Millenium!

	Bill "the optimist" Wendling