[Newspoetry] [edwards@eagle.uis.edu: (fwd) Once Upon A Time]

Bill Wendling wendling at ganymede.isdn.uiuc.edu
Thu Jul 29 13:14:15 CDT 1999

A fairy tale for a new generation:

----- Forwarded message from "W. Edwards" <edwards at eagle.uis.edu> -----

From: "W. Edwards" <edwards at eagle.uis.edu>
Subject: (fwd) Once Upon A Time
To: eransdell at lrs.com, wendy_edwards at illinova.com,
        wendling at ganymede.isdn.uiuc.edu
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 13:05:01 -0600 (CDT)
Cc: aborg at parc.xerox.com, tcamp at mines.edu

Once upon a time in a land far away, a beautiful, independent, self-assured
princess happened upon a frog as she sat contemplating ecological issues on
the shores of an unpolluted pond in a verdant meadow near her castle.

The frog hopped into the princess' lap and said: Elegant Lady, I was once a
handsome prince, until an evil witch cast a spell upon me. One kiss from
you, however, and I will turn back into the dapper young prince that I am,
and then, my sweet, we can marry and set up housekeeping in your castle with
my mother, where you can prepare my meals, clean my clothes, bear my
children, and feel forever grateful doing so.

That night, as the princess dined sumptuously on a repast of lightly sautéed
frogs legs seasoned in a wine and onion cream sauce she chuckled to herself
and thought: I don't fucking think so.

----- End forwarded message -----