[Newspoetry] good news

Kathleen McDowell mcdowell at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Tue Mar 23 18:03:05 CST 1999

TimeFace
--------

It's about time
to say
this is real
if not deliberate

It's about face
to say this is real
and not deliberate

It's about
pared down
numbers of girlzwomen
participation unavailable
no more in the bowl for us
oops, out of tenure
into the

atrophy like silt into a river
a pulling, demanding river of rigor
and women mean more than particulate matter
particularly together
grouped to document
erosion.

It's about face
for M.I.T., their
careful acknowledgement
of a change in position
while saving
face, which it's also about, and
time to find
other means
to allocate anything

because we can't
assume our preferences
for particular people
warrant merit.

it's about time
to valorize the masses of unaccomplished female people
for they shall inherit the shame of such institutions
like a small sour lollypop after the dentist

--by Kate, with thanks to Joe for pointing the NY Times article out

Kate McDowell
Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books Editoral Assistant
Graduate Student in Library and Information Science