[Newspoetry] sickout

Sam Patterson patterso at rohan.sdsu.edu
Sat May 8 20:08:10 CDT 1999

Sick of the War?
SICK-OUT DAY JUNE 7, 1999
* * * * *

SPREAD THE WORD - NATIONAL SICK-OUT DAY JUNE 7, 1999

Are you feeling sick about the war in Yugoslavia?
Take part in the SICK-OUT on JUNE 7th!
Call in sick to work and take the day off!

Whether the US’ involvement makes you feel queasy, or the escalation of
violence gives you the tremors, or the bombings that are making the
situation so much worse and are killing civilians make you sick to your
stomach, or the whole thing makes you depressed -join people all across
the nation in sending the message that you are sick of the war.

STAY HOME IN MEMORIAL TO THOSE WHO HAVE LOST THEIR LIVES

STAY HOME TO SHOW YOUR SUPPORT FOR PEACE

This can be BIG. With all of us who want an end to the violence taking
the day off, we can make a significant impact! This coordinated powerful
act will get attention!

JOIN IN. On Monday, June 7th, you could possibly have a 24-hour flu,
have eaten something bad and got a spell of food poisoning, perhaps your
periodic migraines are acting up again, a summer cold, sore throat,
whatever works for your situation, If you are able, say you are sick of
this bloody war. If that wouldn’t do, there are plenty of potential
illnesses about; who can blame you if you happen to be sick on June 7th?

Many people are against this war, but do the “powers that be” care about
our opinions? But THIS, not working - this will get their attention.
Even the mildly sheepish who don’t like this war, can call in sick. It
can be a great lesson for us to come together and see our potential
power when we are unified.

Please help us build this sick-out day for June 7th - by then, we can
expect the war fatigue will be even greater, as more and more horrors,
possibly even the introduction of US ground troops, will come with this
insane war. What do you say?

PLEASE HELP SPREAD THE WORD AND BUILD THE MOBILIZATION FOR
THE NATIONAL SICK-OUT DAY ON JUNE 7th, 1999.