[Newspoetry] animation assistant wanted

William Gillespie gillespi at staff.uiuc.edu
Wed Nov 3 16:47:37 CST 1999

Months ago Mark Enslin composed a newspoem more formally arduous than I
thought possible - it is a poem that can be read rightside up or upside
down. He used letters which appear like other letters when inverted (n/u
etc.). He intends that the poem - which is about sweatshops - be
presented on an animated mobius strip in which one can see the front
(rightsideup) and back of the mobius strip as it cycles. Trying to pare
this idea down into something I knew how to do, I suggested instead a
wheel (spinning wheel - relevant to sweatshops).

Which still leaves many problems - how to make it clear that the letters
are meant to be read upside down (different fonts, carefully handwritten
text?) and how to make the wheel spin both directions - since both the
top and bottom ought to move from right to left.

Still it is not an easy task and any advice or assistance is welcome.
Both the original text and a circular version are available at

http://www.newspoetry.com/1999/mobius/

I'd love to make it happen - I've never seen a poem anything like it -
but man, whew, what a concept...

-Ed.