[Newspoetry] dual-composer poem

auntbarb at onthejob.net auntbarb at onthejob.net
Mon Nov 22 17:50:40 CST 1999

		Strange Research Proves Somewhat Inconclusive

	Today, researchers announced that they had possibly discovered the existence of a gene which can pre-dispose people to thinking on their own.  This "independent-thinking" gene, as it is dubbed by researchers, is thought to cause
spontaneous, well-rounded thoughts in some individuals.
	"It's really quite spectacular," said Dr. Q.R.S.T.U.V.W.X.Y.Z, MD, PhD,
DVM, from the National Institutes Of Health (NIH).  "we tested our theory extensively by injecting naked mole rats with forign genetic material and observing their behavior.  These rats were chosen because their social structure  is similar to that of bees, inthat they have various social strata, and social heirarchy is essential to the survival of the community.  We wanted to see if any of them  'strayed from the flock,' so to speak."
	"Our results were somewhat dissapointing," Said PR head B.C.D.E.F.G.H.
"few of our naked mole rats truly acheived independent thought.  Only those who reponded to the SPAM test did actually rise up and decend upon the queen in a somewhat gruesome manner."
	Animal rights activists and philosphers staged a sit-in during the press conference.  When questioned, one animal-rights activist said, "This is hardly proof of anything!  If you took a vegetarian, injetced them with foriegn genetic material, and fed them nothing but SPAM for a month, they just might eat the queen too!"
	The philosophers claimed that free thought is mostly a product of choice, making it a social and not genetic phenomenon.
	"We're not sure what the implications of this are," conceded Dr. Q.R.S.T.U.V.W.X.Y.Z.  "We've already had a lot of inquiry from the US Armed Forces and
the Association of Hugely Successful Bussinesses.  We may have to consult our higly-paid ethics personnel on how to proceed."
	No naked mole rats could be reached for comment.

-Anne Bargar and Todd Shawler