[Newspoetry] call for tripod, long RCA cables: wednesday rehearsal

gillespie william k gillespi at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 13 09:30:31 CDT 1999

TECH GEEK ECSTASY!

I've assembled the equipment I think we need, although Mike's mixing board
is flawed in that it has a stereo headphone jack which WON'T let you
listen in stereo - it will only output one channel at a time.

(shakes head sadly in wonder)

I don't get it, but at least it HAS a headphone jack which is more than I
can say for the camera or minidisc recorder...

Does anybody have ... a LONG pair of RCA cables..?

a camera tripod...

The plan is to collect sound through Mike's mikes and mixing board, feed
it into the minidisc recorder, and (ideally two pairs of RCA cables out of
the mixing board as opposed to a pair out the back of the minidisc
recorder (since at some point the minidisc will get full and stop
recording and cut off the sound going into the camera....
)
)

Thus we have a good recording on minidisc and the best possible audio on
the tape itself - we use the minidisc to make sound files and the video to
make video files and need not necessarily mess with synching up sound and
video from different sources, merely offer the viewer / browser / client /
reader a choice of good sound or mediocre video / sound.

How fun is that?
I guess we'll find out tonight.