[Newspoetry] Backyard Nukes

David Young dyoung at onthejob.net
Sun Oct 24 13:53:04 CDT 1999

Re: the Davy Crockett. Someone told me about a remarkable instance of
nuclear boneheadedness having to do with that particular weapon:

Word is that, for a while, the Davy Crockett was deployed on jeeps
patrolling at the Berlin Wall.  Any old lieutenant with half an inkling
that "The Enemy" was going to try to bust through the Wall could shoot
one over and blow a bunch of East Berliners to kingdom come. No "higher
government authority" need be involved. It gets worse; the president at
the time (I forget which one it was) was not informed of the weapons'
deployment at the wall.  When he eventually found out he was pretty
P.O.'d.  Question is, did he think it was a bad idea to have jeeps with
loose nuclear cannons patrolling the iron curtain, or was he angry that
he hadn't thought of it himself?

Dave