[Newspoetry] continuing advantures of Unknown

William Gillespie gillespi at uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 27 00:01:19 CDT 1999

I'll be covering the DAC conference in Atlanta this week(end) for
Newspoetry.

http://www.lcc.gatech.edu/events/dac99/

I regret that I will miss the 2nd 29th bash of staff poet Joseph
Marshall Futrelle, Esquire, which party is required coursework for those
of you completing your MA (Mistress of Activism) degrees at Newspoetry
Tech. For this reason, I request that his 29th birthday be celebrated
again next year. 2nd 2nd annual 29th birthday.

I will do my best to entertain you from Georgia Tech, a big name school
known worldwide not for the quality of its writing program, with e-tales
from my travels (I love it when people do this - like when Bill went to
the Linux Expo) (and of course our own dear Mr. Kite's recent report
from east central Iowa). Provided of course that one of the South's best
tech schools has an internet connection. We can always hope.

The Unknown reading may be webcast although it is admittedly unlikely as
it has been scheduled during "The Future(s) of Narrative" which is no
doubt more urgent. I mean which would you go to if you were truly
striving to cut the edge: the future of narrative or the present. Let's
be reasonable.

Besides, this is an international conference of people with really
intense websites, and I'm afraid some of the Norwegian digital animation
artists won't get into our encyclopedic hypertext novel or my rap song
about the Reagan administration. Nevertheless.

Regardless. Robert ("Bob") Coover and a couple of other interesting
people (one hopes) will be there. And I'm going to ask Michael Joyce to
autograph my handheld Windows CE system LG Phenom ("sugar") with an
indelible felt tip I have been saving for just the proper occasion.

I wish I could go to one of these things with all of the Unknown, OJC
and Newspoetry sometime. They would give us a floor of a hotel. Mike
would drive. We'd buy a schoolbus and paint it all psychedelic. We'd
tool down I74 to Dirk's house cranking Ani or Public Enemy. Cops would
take one look at us and feel too tired to pull us over. We'd fill up the
hotel bar and we'd each order the weirdest drinks we could think of - a
vegan Kahlua and creme, something blue, something on fire in a cocanut.
A Virgin Bloody Mary. An Income Tax Cocktail.

In closing, I think we can all learn something from the Future(s) of
Narrative.

Peace.
Love.
Etc.