[Newspoetry] greetings from Georgia Tech

gillespie william k gillespi at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Fri Oct 29 15:47:53 CDT 1999

Hi everyone. I'm typing this on a fast computer at GCATT - Georgia Center
for Advanced Telecommunication Technology - where two presentations were
ruined by a faulty internet connection and a video cassette player (VHS)
that wouldn't cooperate when the nice person from Amsterdam was showing
off her cave-based immersive interactive art piece. Everywhere I look I
see great jobs and massive funding. I am still haunted by a sense of
having no idea what I'm doing here but I'm trying to document it for
Newspoetry by capturing ssound, drawings, photos, handwriting and
cartoons.

I honestly don't know whether there's anyone here any of you would heard
of except the Unknown and Robert Coover, whom I adore.

There's lots of interesting people but I am shy. Luckily Scott is here.
Remind me not to tell you how we celebrated his birthday, just picture a
hotel room full of broken glass and an American flag draped over the
armchair.

I'm very much looking forward to presenting the Ventriloquists
Administration (for the first time) with a tape accompaniment, an
amplified microphone, a podium, and the text of the rap projected behind
me on a ten foot screen.

Which will actually be webcast - check it out at

http://www.lcc.gatech.edu/events/dac99/webcast.html

Love.