[Newspoetry] tech questions / NEWSPOETRY LIVE AT SWEET BETSY'S!!

bhagy at onthejob.net bhagy at onthejob.net
Fri Sep 24 21:30:23 CDT 1999

you need both, a special fileformat, so that the receiving program (such
as quicktime or RealVideo) knows that the info coming in is in a streaming
format, and you need the hardware which can generate streaming video.
this computer sergei at OJC has an mpegII video capture card (both input
and output capabilities) and uses Premiere 5.0 realtime and Quicktime 4.0,
both capable of handling streaming video (premiere i know can generate a
streaming file as well, haven't used quicktime enough to know for
certain).  i'm not sure of how this technology works completely, but am
trying to learn.  you don't need a server to actually send streaming
video, it just makes things quicker.  sergei is actually pretty powerful
and speedy, so it can easily handle streaming (it can actually handle DVD
authoring, which is much much more complicated).  feel free to come by and
play. anyone interested will probably need to get an account though, cuz
it's one of these NT machines with all those frickin security passwords
and mumble-jumbles.

we can probably take a picture of Sweet Betsy's and doctor it up with
photoshop and after effects so that it becomes quite the convincing hip
place to be these days (which i think it is anyways, but that's a
different story, kinda like how cinderella is also a different story.  as
a matter of fact, so is the story of the beginning of plaid picnic
tablecloths)

 quack quack.

brian