[Newspoetry] Realnewspoetry

William Gillespie gillespi at staff.uiuc.edu
Mon Sep 27 16:47:18 CDT 1999

Heyheyhey,

I've started the process of adding realaudio files to individual poems!
A complete list can be found in the Table by Poetic Form under
Realaudio. I am taking the poems recorded onto minidisc in Studio 109,
using Goldwave to rerecord them as .WAV files, then using Realproducer
to turn them into .rm files... There is a noticeable loss in sound
quality, though I hope to refine the process...

I like Realmedia files because they allow you to add lots of information
about the author & title. They also are roughly 1/10th the size of the
equivalent .WAV files. I would like to record things directly from
minidisc to realproducer, but I don't think my machine can churn fast
enough to hack it.

When you record Realaudio files the first thing the software does is beg
you if it can submit the files to something called Veritas, I think.
Does anybody know anything about this?

Any advice on how to refine this process, or how to better integrate the
sound files into the site, is welcome.

Willy G.

P.S. There also exist some recordings of newspoems read by the Unknown
in a few live venues, including Scott reading "World can go fuck itself"
off a 30-foot screen to an auditorium full of flabbergasted Coe College
faculty & students.

P.P.S. I think we should try to record simple versions of the two
folksongs as well... And the rap should definitely go up there.

P.P.P.S. I wanna read a poem at Betsyworld. Thanks Babs & Paul!

P.P.P.P.S. I think it will be Kord's videorecorder, Brian's computer,
and Joe's server... Shout.net can't do streaming realmedia...

P.P.P.P.P.S. I'll write a invitation/announcement in the form of a
Newspoem. To print out and post locally as well as to alert the WWW that
we have a kind of scene, our own little world right here, just like
fray.com.

P.P.P.P.P.P.S. Input is welcome...

P.P.P.P.P.P.P.S. Brian - does your Premiere software encode things as
Realmedia files..?