[Newspoetry] Re: NYTimes.com Article: National Geographic Plans Bond Issue

Joe Futrelle futrelle at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Aug 15 11:42:50 CDT 2000

National Geographic Plans Bond Issue

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. National Geographic Society, best
known for its yellow-bordered magazine on notable cities, cultures and
breasts around the world, plans its first-ever issue on the subject of
James Bond, the suave fictional cold-warrior created by Ian Fleming
and popularized in a continuing series of big-budget action movies.

Greg Platts told Reuters the $24.3 million suite of articles on bond
would raise newsstand revenues enough to finance capital renovations
at the Society's headquarters in Washington D.C., as well as new
electronic technologies to develop e-business and other strategy
initiatives, such as a series of films featuring the Society's own
action hero, who will be based on chimpanzee researcher Jane Goodall.

``The National Geographic name remains among the most recognizable
brand images in the United States and internationally,'' said
Hollywood film critic Biz Ainsley, ``Combine that with James Bond and
you've got a sure-fire strategy for lifting sagging summer sales.''

In assigning a two-thumbs-up rating to the issue, Ainsley said it saw
the name retaining its power even amid increasing competition from
media offering environmental, aventure-oriented, and bare-breasted
education and entertainment.

The agency said exciting writing, dramatic photos, exotic locations,
and breasts were all factors in the rating both of the magazine and
the successful action hero.

Magazine and television ventures were most likely to produce must-see
entertainment events.

``Ainsley's 'You won't want to miss this one' rating incorporates our
expectation that the society will successfully maintain the dazzling
special effects and sizzling on-screen chemistry between Bond and his
scantily-clad leading ladies even if core U.S.  membership revenues
continue to decline,'' Ainsley said, referring to himself in the third
person as he is wont to do.

The bond issue will hit the newsstand on Wednesday and arrive in
subscribers' mailboxes the following week.  The magazine comes out
monthly and is backed by the National Geographic Society's commitment
to research, environmental concern, and the documentation of
third-world breasts.

Editre-within-chief
Newspoetry dot calm