[Newspoetry] Inventor of Lava Lamp Dies

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 20 14:37:06 CDT 2000

London-Associated Poets

Edward Craven Walker, the inventor of the Lava Lamp, died Tuesday at age
82. Walker once said, "If you buy my lamp, you don't need to buy drugs."
Many hippies were, however, known for combining the effects of the Lava
Lamp and drugs for a particularly synergistic buzz. Bill Clinton once
said, "I've looked at Lava Lamps, but I never inhaled one."

Mr. Walker was also a vigorous advocate for nudism. He made several
films celebrating being outdoors in the buff and owned a nudist resort
on the south coast of England.

Walker was known to have requested cremation, with the ashes then being
mixed into a special edition Lava Lamp that will be plugged in at the
family estate, next door to the island that serves as the burial spot of
Princess Di.

-30-